Fall Conference 2016
Join us at the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa in San Diego, CA October 20-24, 2016.
Pre-conference workshops and meetings will be held October 17-20. LREDA Small will be Oct. 24 in the afternoon, and LARGE on Oct. 25.
Money, Death, Race and Sex: Bringing the Spiritual Dimension to Tough Topics.
This program is brought to you by the UUA Faith Development Office, directed by Jessica York. According to Jessica, “Our jobs as religious professionals would be easier if life were all flower bouquets and cotton candy. The children, youth, and adults we serve deal with harsh realities around challenging topics, and in their toughest times our ministry is most needed…
Often, we are called to support the children, youth and adults we serve through difficult times, as they explore areas of their lives not frequently acknowledged or talked about. Money, death, sex and race are topics that affect all our lives, yet many consider taboo to discuss in ‘polite company.’ As a religious professional, you will be more effective in helping constituents if you have taken the time to evaluate your own relationship to sensitive topics. At this Fall Conference, we will take the time to check in with our spirits and delve into how these four topics affect our spiritual lives and our ability to serve professionally.”
The goals for the program include:
• Gaining tools and practice skills that can be used for confronting “hard” topics (not just these four, but many others)
• Understanding how dealing with your own relationship to sensitive topics helps you as a religious professional
• Being able to name what is religious about race, money, death, and sex; how our relationship with each affects our spirituality
• Experiencing firsthand that you can talk about hard topics and not only survive, but thrive
• Modeling and experiencing spiritual exploration of sensitive topics as part of a group
• Exploring the intersectional ties of these topics with each other and with the various identities we hold.